Craving something delicious and easy to make? Look no further than this tasty, buttery, and flaky Meat Pie Recipe. This dish is a sure-fire hit on any occasion or gathering, made with just a few simple ingredients.
Meat pie is one of the well-known pastries or snacks in West Africa and a few places in South Africa. Do not be confused with empanadas or Jamaican beef patties, they are different with a unique method of cooking and ingredients.
For the main ingredients:
- All-purpose flour: Can use all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour.
- Meat: The most important ingredient, can substitute for fish or veggies.
- Ice cold water: Cold water makes the pie flaky and helps butter stay solid throughout kneading, reason why you don’t have to overwork the dough.
- Cold Butter: This makes it flaky and a buttery melt-in-your-mouth taste.
How to preserve Meat pie:
Can be in the fridge for 3 days and then transfer to the freezer if not consumed. Can stay in the freezer for up to 3 months. From the freezer, let it thaw in the fridge or kitchen self, then microwave for 30 seconds.
If you love Meat Pies, then you will love these,
African Meatpie Recipe
For Meat Filling
- ½ lbs Ground Beef
- ½ cup Green beans or peas
- ½ cup Carrots cubed
- ½ Onion chopped
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes Optional
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Bouillon powder seasoning powder
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Cilantro or Parsley
For the dough
- 4 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 Egg cold
- 1 cup + 3tbsp Water ice cold water
- 1 cup Cold butter
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 Egg yolk
- Preheat Oven to 350°F
For the Filling.
- Pour oil into a saucepan over medium heat, add onion and sauté for 2 minutes. Then add beef and cook for about 5 minutes till some of the water dries off.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook for another 3 minutes. Make sure there isn't too much water in the filling, like pies will be soggy.
- When the filling is ready, remove it from heat and set aside.
For the dough
- Add flour, butter and salt in a large mixing bowl and rub everything with your hands until crumpy.
- Pour in water in batches, and egg, mix with your hands until everything combines.
- Transfer the dough to the flour-dusted work surface and knead until the dough is ready. Do not over mix or work dough, it will make it hard and non flaky. Divide it into the number of pies you want, flatten each portion, and then cut it using a small bowl or meat pie cutter.
- Add the filling to the dough and fold to meet the edges, then seal using the fork. Arrange the pies on the baking pan lined with a baking mat or sheet, pierce a fork on top of each pie and apply egg wash (beaten egg yolk) using a brush.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F. When fish pies are ready, remove them from the oven and serve hot.