Homemade Sugar Donuts are light, fluffy, and insanely savoury. Trust me when I say they are so easy to make with flour, eggs, sugar, butter, and yeast.
When you try this recipe, you will never use another recipe because it will be your final stop for Donut Recipe. When some people hear of making donuts, it is sometimes intimidating; I bet you they are easy to make if you follow the instructions and steps correctly. You can also watch the Video here.
My mom always made donuts, and I was there from start to finish; the process was so satisfying, especially when it was time to make the balls. Also, the flavour was so inviting that I felt like eating raw dough.
Many people usually confuse Yeast Donuts and Cake donuts, which use baking powder. In Cameroon, we refer to cake donuts as ” Drop Doughnuts,” which are crumbly and dense, while yeast donuts are light, fluffy, and chewy.
What you need for this recipe.
- Yeast: Very important, do not substitute baking powder. If using active yeast, mix with warm milk and let it proof for 5 minutes before combining other ingredients. If using instant yeast, skip the process and mix everything right away. In this recipe, I used instant yeast.
- Sugar: Any sugar works well. Adjust the sugar according to how sweet you want it.
- Warm Milk: Must be warm to touch to activate the yeast.
- Butter: It must be softened.
- All-purpose flour.
How to make Soft Donuts:
For detailed instructions, please check the recipe card below;
- Mix yeast, milk, and sugar and let it rise for about 5 minutes if using active dry yeast.
- Combine the rest of the ingredients with proofed yeast in a mixer. Use a dough hook to mix. You can also mix manually. The dough has to be slightly sticky; don’t be tempted to add flour at this point; watch the video to see the dough texture.
- When the dough has been formed, cover it and let it double in size.
- Divide dough into 8 and roll it into balls, or flatten the dough and cut using a round cookie cutter of about 3 inches.
- Let it rest on parchment paper for about 30 minutes.
- Heat your oil and fry till golden brown.
Oil temperature: Oil must always be about 340 degrees F (use an oil thermometer). Before the next batch comes in, let it cool till the correct temperature. I usually drop a little dough inside the oil; if it browns immediately, the oil is too hot. Oil is ideal for frying if it takes time to have a brown colour. Donuts have to float as soon as they are dropped into oil.
Homemade Sugar Donuts
- 3½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup Milk warm to touch
- 2 Eggs at room temperature
- 2 tbsp Butter softened
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp Yeast
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- Pour warm milk into a stand mixer or mixing bowl, add sugar and yeast, let it proof for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla extract, flour, salt, and eggs. Mix using a stand mixer on low speed, then when combined, add the speed and knead for about 6 minutes until the dough becomes stretchy and a little bit sticky and tacky.
- Add the softened butter and mix again for 5 more minutes.
- Cover the dough using a kitchen towel and leave for one hour until the volume doubles.
- After one hour, transfer the dough to the flour-dusted work surface and, make a ball, divide it into the number of donuts needed.
- Give each portion a beautiful round shape and place it on parchment paper, leave for another 30 minutes.
- Add oil to a pot over medium-low heat. When the oil is just warm, add donuts and cook until the bottom turns golden brown.
- Then flip and continue cooking until you get a light ring line in the center of the donuts.
- Remove from the oil, and place on a plate lined with absorbent paper.
- Then roll them in powdered sugar and serve immediately.