Lamb and Saffron Rice, is very flavorful with a combination of whole spices which is very inviting, quick, and super delicious.
Saffron threads are derived from Crocus sativus flower which gives food a deep yellow color. It is commonly used in India, Pakistan, Persia, and some parts of Asia. The threads are crushed with a mortar and pestle and mixed with water as I did in the recipe, or just add the powder to your food. Use turmeric powder as a substitution.
The perfect side dish is very versatile and gluten-free. Saffron has a deep and sweet flavor and may be pricey but small amounts are very affordable. Don’t buy huge quantities of saffron, just a little bit will give or pop the flavor of your dish.
I got my Saffron Threads from Amazon
In this recipe, lamb shanks are perfectly marinated and oven-baked till tender. Filled with flavor and is a perfect treat for your tastebuds.
This meal is perfect for family gatherings, occasions, and dinner. I love lamb especially when cooked till tender and falls off the bone.
How to Make the Lamb
- Mix all the seasonings
- Make slits on the lamb and marinate well.
- Wrap in parchment paper and aluminum foil, then bake in the oven till tender.
How to make the Saffron rice
- Heat the ghee or butter or oil in a pot.
- Sauté onions and whole spices.
- Add the rice, salt, and broth.
- Cook till tender, then add saffron mix and let it cook with remaining heat till it’s fluffy.
For the Lamb
- 2 Lamb shanks
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Blackpepper
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1-2 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Coriander seeds ground
- ½ tsp Ginger powder
- ¼ Cooking oil
For the Rice
- 2 cups Rice washed
- 2 tbsp Butter or ghee
- 1 tsp Saffron thread crushed or turmeric powder
- ½ Onion sliced or diced
- 2-3 Bay leaves whole
- 5-7 Cardamom seeds whole
- ½ tsp Fennel seeds optional
- 1 tsp Coriander seeds whole
- ½ tsp Anise seeds whole, optional
- 3-4 cups Water or broth plus ¼
- Salt to taste.
For the Lamb
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients for the lamb and stir to combine.
- Make deep cuts on the lamb and marinate both sides making sure marinate goes deep into the cuts.
- At this point, I added some garlic gloves, lemon slices, and onion slices, but this is optional. Now wrap it with parchment paper and aluminum foil and place it on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 1 hour in the oven at 400℉.
- Open wraps and allow to cool. Lamb wraps will contain juice, serve with the saffron rice.
For the Rice
- In a pot, melt the butter or ghee for about 1 minute.
- Sauté the onion for about 2 minutes till fragrant. Now add all the whole ingredients and stir for about 2 minutes.
- Now add the washed rice and broth, and cover to cook until the water dries off and the rice is tender. Turn off the heat.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix the crushed saffron or turmeric powder with ¼ tbsp of water.
- When the water dries in the rice, pour in the saffron mixture, cover, and let it cook with the remaining heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Now serve with the lamb and Enjoy.