West African Peanut/Groundnut Soup Recipe – A hearty and savoury stew common in West Africa. This is a treat to your taste buds and a versatile dish.
What is Peanut Stew?
This is simply peanut butter simmered in spices and herbs with any proteins. Very rich in nutrients, fats and vitamins. It can also be called peanut soup or peanut butter soup.
One of my favourite dishes to cook when I don’t have enough time because it is less stressful and easy to make with easy-to-find ingredients.
Growing up, my mom will roast the peanuts, peel them and grind. This was the annoying part of this dish, so if you are doing this method, plan or give yourself more cooking time. In this recipe, store-bought peanut butter is used and it is a lifesaver.
Ingredients used and Recipe Variations.
Check the recipe card at the end of this post for the detailed recipe. Many ingredients were used but will sort out a few for variations and tips.
- Peanut butter: Use store-bought peanut butter, make sure you choose the one with less sugar. Check the nutritional fact on the container. If using whole peanuts, roast them in a pan or in the oven until they are brown. Let it cool, then peel and grind till smooth.
- Chicken: Feel free to use beef, fish or any meats. Boil and save the stock for the soup. If using water, adjust the taste of the soup. You can also air fry or deep fry your chicken.
- Tomato paste: You can substitute for tomato sauce
- Fresh tomatoes: Canned whole tomatoes can be used.
- Spices and herbs to taste.
What to Serve with Peanut Stew?
- Boiled yams
- Boiled plantains
This is based on the individual’s preference.
Best served hot, but leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for 3 days and in the freezer for 1-2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator and simmer on medium heat with little water or microwave.
For the Chicken
- 1 lb Chicken thighs or mixed parts. washed
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 2 tsp Chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp White pepper
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- ½ large Onion diced
- 2-3 cups Water
For the Peanut Soup
- 1 cup Peanut butter
- 2 medium Tomatoes
- 1 Bell pepper
- 1 large Onion
- 2 tsp Ginger garlic paste.
- 1 cup Chicken stock
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste
- Fresh basil, thyme and parsley or any herbs. chopped
- Add the chicken into a large bowl with all the ingredients for the chicken except the onion.
- Using your hands, mix until well coated. Transfer into a pot, add the onion with enough water. Boil until tender. I used a pressure pot which cooked for just 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, blend the tomatoes, onions and bell peppers until smooth. Set aside
- Air fry the chicken at 400F for 20 minutes, flip sides halfway through. You can also deep fry the chicken till golden brown. Save the chicken stock.
- In a large pot, heat the cooking oil for about 2 minutes. Pour in the blended mix, and chicken stock and let it cook for about 4-5 minutes. Make sure you check it so it doesn't burn.
- Now add the peanut butter and stir until it dissolves. Cover and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, and garnish with the fresh herbs. Stir and let it simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with rice or fufu.