Scotch Eggs (Fish Coated Eggs) – Hard-boiled eggs coated with mashed fish and flavorful spices, then deep fried. They are very crunchy on the outside and delicious. Your new favourite recipe, indeed.
A very common roadside snack in countries like Cameroon, Nigeria and Ghana. Even though they are usually made of ground meat, the fish version is a Cameroonian thing. I did hawk scotch eggs for my mom, so this is mom’s recipe. So you’re in for the best.
You must have come across many scotch egg recipes, but I am sure you still need to come across the fish version. It’s so easy to make, just like the minced meat version.
- Hard-boiled eggs
- Canned fish
- Salt and seasoning powder
- Black pepper
- Eggs must be hard-boiled and not runny.
- Make sure you drain excess water from the canned fish. If you made your fish mixture too hard, add just a little oil and water. If it’s too wet or too much water, add bread crumbs or flour to thicken.
- Oil should be at least 3 inches deep for frying.
Can I Airfry?
Yes! Air fry at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes till golden brown and crispy. Make sure you spray oil on it before air frying.
How to make Scotch Eggs with Fish
Check the recipe card at the end of this post for a detailed recipe.
- Boil eggs for 15 minutes till hard-boiled.
- Peel and pat dry eggs.
- Mash the fish and add all the seasonings and spices; mix till well combined.
- Portion the fish according to the number of eggs, and fully coat the eggs.
- Now coat with the breadcrumbs.
- Deep fry until golden brown.
- It’s best when eaten immediately because of the crunch. But any left overs can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
African Scotch Eggs (Fish Coated Eggs)
- 10 Eggs
- 2 cups Bread crumbs
- 500g Canned fish I used mackerel, or 1½ Whole fish scaled and gutted.
- 2 tsp Seasoning powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Onion minced or finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- 1 large Eggs
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- Oil to deep fry
- Boil the eggs till hard-boiled for 15 minutes. Then remove the eggs and put them in a bowl of cold water. Let it sit for 3 minutes.
- Peel the eggs and pat dry using a paper towel and set aside.
If Using Fresh Whole Mackerel
- Scale, gut and wash the fish perfectly. Then slice and boil with 1 tsp of salt and 1 cup of water till fully cooked.
- Drain the excess water, let it cool, debone the fish, and put it in a bowl. If using Canned fish. SKIP AND GO TO THE NEXT STEP.
If Using Canned Fish
- Drain all the water from the canned fish and put it inside a large mixing bowl.
To Make the Scotch Eggs
- Since we now have our fish in a bowl, add the salt, seasoning powder, onion, parsley, black pepper, garlic powder, 1 egg, tbsp flour, and 2 tbsp cooking oil. Mix until uniform.
- Divide the fish mixture into portions according to the number of eggs.
- Pour the bread crumbs into another bowl or plate.
- Take a portion of the fish mixture, flatten it in your palm, then put the egg in the middle and coat the egg till it's fully coated.
- Smoothen it with your hands to form a nice ball.
- Roll it gently inside the bread crumbs until fully coated, then set aside. Repeat the process with the rest of the eggs.
- In a pot of oil, deep fry until it golden brown. Remove and put in an absorbent paper.
- Serve with pepper sauce or as it is.