This Milk Bread is super fluffy, cotton soft with a phenomenal airy crumb. It’s milky taste and flavor is irresistible. Very easy to make with few ingredients.
Milk bread is one of my favorite for breakfast especially when filled with some fried eggs or butter and even chocolate, served with a cup of hot chocolate, Oh my Goodness! I am in the clouds at that moment. Avocado is also a perfect pair with this bread. My mom made this a lot, and my siblings and I couldn’t hold it with that inviting milky aroma from the oven. Follow the recipe and it will become your favorite too.
What is Milk Bread?
It is an incredibly soft bread with the prefect crumb made with milk and perfect for sandwiches or toast. It has many names like Chinese milk bread, Korean milk bread and Japanese milk bread. Japanese milk bread requires a “Tangzhong” but in this recipe, it wasn’t used. A perfectly made milk bread will be cotton soft, fluffy and delicate.
- Flour: All purpose flour or bread flour can be used.
- Milk: I used whole milk powder. Low fat can be used.
- Yeast: Instant yeast and active dry yeast is good for this recipe Acts as a leavening agent.
- Water: Must be warm to activate yeast. You can also substitute for warm liquid milk.
- Sugar: The yeast feeds on the sugar to proof the bread. Acts as a sweetener.
- Egg: Gives a richer taste.
How to Shape the dough:
You will see many ways on how to shape the dough. But my favorite is:
- Divide the dough into 3 portions or according to how it will fit your loaf pan.
- Roll out each dough with a rolling pin into an oval shape.
- Fold while pressing or sealing down with your fingers, Watch full video Here.
- Pinch to seam close and place in the greased loaf pan, seam side down.
- Proof in a warm area till it doubles in size.
- Apply egg wash and Bake according to Instructions in the recipe card.
Equipments to use:
If you don’t have a stand mixer, mix manually but will require enough energy.
How to preserve Milk Bread:
Can be stored at room temperature in an airtight container for 3 days. Then slice and keep in refrigerator for up to 1 week and in the freezer for 3 months.
If you like this recipe, then check out this Cheesy Garlic Dinner Rolls.
Soft and Fluffy Milk Bread
- 3 cups All purpose flour
- 3 tbsp Powder milk
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Butter softened
- 1 cup Warm water
- 2 tsp Yeast
- 1 Egg at room temperature.
- 1 Egg at room temperature.
- 1 tbsp Water or liquid milk
- In a bowl, add water, yeast and mix till combined.
- Now add the rest of the ingredients and mix using the dough hook till a perfect dough is formed. This will take about 7 minutes on low speed.
- Dough will be a little sticky but can be handled with oiled or floured hands. Now form a ball and put in a lightly greased pan.
- Cover and let it rest in a warm area for 1 hour till it doubles in size.
- Transfer dough to a working surface and divide into 3 equal portions. Roll out dough with rolling pin into an oval shape and then fold and seal till the end.
- Place in a lightly greased loaf pan, seam side down and cover with a towel. Let it rest for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F in the last 10 minutes of the proofing.
- Mix 1 egg with 1 tbsp of water or liquid milk and mix till combined.
- Using a brush, apply egg wash generously on the bread.
- Bake at 350°F for 35- 40 minutes till it's golden brown. Let it bake in the middle or last rack far away from the heat so that the top dosen't burn.
- Remove bread from the oven and let it rest in the pan for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer bread from the pan to a cooling rack. Let it cool for about 10 minutes and serve.
- Change measurements grams by clicking on the metric in the recipe card and use a scale for accuracy.
- If you are in a cold area, proof in the oven. Boil water and place in the last rack of the oven, it should be open to let out steam or vapor. Place dough in the oven.