These Cheesy Garlic Dinner Rolls are pillow soft, milky, buttery and fluffy. Stuffed with some mozzarella cheese, it’s a melts in your mouth recipe. It requires very few pantry ingredients and in no time, they are ready to go. I love dinner rolls because they can be eaten anytime of the day either for breakfast, brunch, lunch, snack, or dinner.
This recipe has been used by my family for years and it always turned out perfect. After using this recipe, it will become your every time go to dinner rolls recipe.
Which Ingredients to use?
- Flour: All purpose flour or bread flour can be used. No other type of flour is recommended for this recipe.
- Milk or Water: Should be warm to activate yeast. For pillow soft rolls, use whole milk.
- Yeast: Active dry yeast and instant dry yeast can be used. If using active dry yeast, mix with warm water or milk and sugar, let it proof for 5 minutes. If using instant yeast, skip that process.
- Sugar: Sugar acts as food to the yeast to activate it’s activities. Also acts as a sweetener.
- Egg: For flavor and good texture.
- Butter: Makes rolls soft and it should be at room temperature.
- Cheese: Mozzarella or Cheddar cheese can be used to stuff the bread. If you don’t like cheese, can skip and use same recipe for regular dinner rolls.
- Garlic and Parsley: Adds flavor and taste. Should only be used to rub on the fully baked rolls.
Can this be a Plan Ahead Recipe:
Yes. Not everyone has 2-3 hours a day to make dinner rolls. Mix dough and let it proof in the refrigerator overnight or about 16 hours. Remove about 2-3 hours before you need them, so they continue the rising process and come to room temperature. Do not let it proof overnight at room temperature. REFRIGERATOR ONLY!!
Which baking pan or sheet to use?
Can the Rolls be shaped differently?
Yes. Shape them according to how you like, either twisted or knotted. But you have to seal firmly so that the cheese is trapped within.
How to preserve Dinner Rolls.
After baking, allow to cool, then wrap airtightly or put in an airtight container. Can also freeze, but should thaw before consuming. Microwave for 30 seconds and toast.
Cheesy Garlic Dinner Rolls
- Baking pan or Baking dish
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour plus 2 tbsp for dusting. (Might not use all).
- 1 cup Whole milk warm. or use warm water
- 2½ tsp Yeast
- 2 tbsp Powder milk optional
- 2 Large eggs 1 egg beaten for eggwash.
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Softened butter
For the Filling
- 200g Shredded mozzarella cheese
For the Garlic butter
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4-5 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Parsley chopped
- Pinch of salt
- In a mixing bowl, combine warm water or milk, sugar and yeast let it proof for 5 minutes.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients except the butter to the yeast solution. Mix till well combined with a stand mixer using the dough hook. If you don't own a mixer, mix manually.
- Dough should pull away from the sides of the bowl and come to the center. It will be soft and slightly sticky but can be worked on with floured hands.
- Lightly grease a bowl with oil and transfer dough inside, cover with a cloth and let it proof for 1hour to 1 hour 30 minutes till it doubles in size.
- Grease baking pan or sheet with oil or butter. Can also line with parchment paper. See notes for my baking pan size. Can be baked in a cast iron.
- When dough has doubled in size, punch to release air bubbles, then transfer to a working surface and divide into 10-20 pieces depending on the size of your pan.
- Using a rolling pin, flatten each piece, then place the cheese in the center and pinch to seal. Roll it to form a smooth ball.
- Arrange the balls in the pan with the seam side facing down.
- Now cover again and let it proof for 30 minutes.
- About 10 minutes before proofing time is over, Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Apply eggwash on rolls and Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes in the bottom rack so that the tops don't burn or too brown.
- In a small bowl, add butter, minced garlic, chopped parsley and pinch of salt. If using salted butter, skip the salt. Microwave for 1 minute till butter melts. Stir till combined. Can also do same process in a pot over medium heat.
- Now apply butter mix on the fully baked rolls and serve. Best served warm or hot. ENJOY!