This super juicy Oven Baked Whole Mackerel is insanely savory and serves as a perfect dinner. Flavored with fresh lemon, fresh parsley, and many more. Watch the full Video here
When it comes to seafood, my family and I are lovers, especially fish. I can’t count how types of fish I have cooked and eaten, talkless of how many times I have cooked fish my whole life. Guess what, If you are a fish lover, then Check out my Youtube channel, I have more than 100 Fish recipes you will love.
Why use Mackerel?
Mackerel is an oily fish rich in Omega-3 and has a very strong flavor. It’s so easy to cook and turns out very flaky and juicy with the bones easy to pull out.
My favorite whole fish when it comes to Baking or Grilling:
- Red Snapper
- Sea Bream
- Sea Bass
- Parrot Fish
Which Ingredients to use?
- Whole Mackerel: Mackerel has a strong fish flavor so should be perfectly gutted, scaled, fins cut out, and washed perfectly. Also to reduce that fish smell, wash with vinegar and lemon and rinse with water. If you don’t like gutting fish, ask your fishmonger to do it or buy already gutted. To Choose fresh mackerel, the skin must be firm to touch with close-fitting scales, the eyes should be clear and bulging not sunken, and gills should be red, not brown. Frozen fish can be used too.
- Fresh Lemon and Parsley: Stuff these in the belly for extra flavor and taste.
- Lemon Juice and Garlic: This pair is perfect for any baked fish and trust me it will be your perfect go-to ingredients always.
- Olive Oil: Keeps fish juicy throughout baking and adds flavor.
For the Equipments to use;
What to Serve with Baked fish:
- 1 Whole Mackerel scaled, gutted and washed
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- ½ tsp Seasoned Salt or any table salt
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika or regular paprika
- ½ tsp Bouillon powder seasoning powder
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning any dried herbs or combination.
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- ½ tsp Old bay seasoning optional
- 1 tsp Chilli flakes and Parsley mix
- Some lemon Slices and Fresh Parsley
- Preheat oven 400° F. BAKE option.
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients except Mackerel, fresh lemon slices, and fresh parsley. Set aside.
- Make 3-4 deep slant cuts or slits on the fish with a knife. Slits must touch the center bone.
- Pat dry fish to get rid of excess water.
- Rub the mixed seasoning on the fish, deep inside the cuts, belly, and head perfectly.
- Put fresh lemon and fresh parsley in the belly for extra flavor and taste.
- Let it marinate for about 30 minutes or can bake it right away.
- Transfer the fish to an aluminum foil lined with parchment paper.
- Wrap the parchment paper followed by the aluminum foil and transfer it into a baking pan.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and open layers of wraps, can serve or if you want to have a charred look or crispy skin, let it go back to the oven opened on BROIL 400°F for another 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and let it cool for about 3 minutes. Serve with wraps because they contain that tasty juice or transfer to a plate with a side of choice. ENJOY!