This Tasty Grilled Whole Catfish is juicy, packed with flavour and ready in minutes. So, if you are looking for the best catfish recipe, look no further because this recipe is perfect for your repertoire.
The first day I saw live catfish in the grocery store, I wouldn’t say I liked the appearance, and besides, the slimy nature discouraged me from buying it. Then guess what? I visited an in-law and saw it in the sink, and she was prepping to cook. I followed closely how it’s been washed because I was more interested in that. It was so easy.
Why chose this recipe:
- Baked in foil, traps in all the juices and flavours.
- Easy and straightforward to follow.
- Very juicy and mouth-watering.
- Catfish is high in protein and low in fat. It also contains omega-3 fatty acids, which help reduce inflammation.
- Also rich in vitamins.
What’s in my Grilled Catfish?
- Whole catfish, scaled and gutted
- Red bell pepper
- Cajun seasoning
- Seasoning powder
- Fresh herbs
- Black pepper
- Ginger and garlic paste
How to Clean Catfish:
The slim is sometimes discouraging to some people, but follow these tips:
- If you can’t gut the fish, ask your fishmonger to do it. Also, your fishmonger might wash the fish for you, but I suggest you rewash it.
- Put the fish in a bowl, add enough salt and scrub the fish with salt, don’t add water at this point.
- When some slime comes out, rinse with hot water thoroughly. Then, repeat with salt and rinse with cold water until you can’t feel the slime anymore.
- Also another salt substitute is the Alum crystal rock.
How to make Grilled Catfish
- Combine fresh ingredients in a blender and blend till coarse.
- Then, pour it into a pan and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cook the marinade until the oil floats
- Pat dry the fish with a paper towel and make deep diagonal slits on both sides of the fish using a knife.
- Marinate the fish and wrap it with aluminum foil, then grill or broil for 30 minutes at 400 degrees F.
What to Serve with Grilled Catfish
- Fried plantains
- Roasted potatoes
Tasty Grilled Catfish
- 1 Whole catfish scaled, gutted and washed.
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
- ½ tsp Blackpepper
- 1 tsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Seasoning powder bouillon
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- ½ Onion medium size
- 1 stalk Fresh basil
- 2-3 sprigs Thyme
- 1 sprig Parsley
- 1 sprig Rosemary optional
- Some lemon slices
- 1 Scotch bonnets
- ¼ cup Cooking oil
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Add the pepper, onion, thyme, basil, parsley, and rosemary in a blender. Blend till slightly coarse.
- Pour the blended mix into a pan or saucepan and add all the remaining ingredients and oil. Using a spoon, stir to combine.
- Simmer on medium heat for about 4 minutes until some water evaporates and the oil floats. Set aside to be cooling.
- Meanwhile, spread aluminum foil on a baking sheet and place the fish on it. Make deep diagonal slits on both sides of the fish using a knife.
- Using a brush, apply the cooked marinade on both sides and in the belly and head of the fish, making sure it goes deep into the slits. You can save some of the marinade as a dip.
- Put the lemon slices inside the belly of the fish and wrap the fish with aluminum foil.
- Grill or broil in a preheated oven for 30 minutes 400℉.
- Remove from the oven and open the foil, be careful because the steam might burn.
- Serve with the saved cooked marinade with a choice of sides. ENJOY!