Fish Pie – Flaky, buttery and crunchy pastries filled with mashed, seasoned fish and veggies. It’s a typical snack in West Africa which is very delicious and worth another bite.
These are so easy to make, provided you follow this recipe detail.
- Use cold butter and cold water to achieve a flaky crust. The secret is to keep it cold, so it is good to rest the dough after mixing in the refrigerator.
- Do not over-mix the dough.
- Cut dough to desired shape and size.
- Filling for pies vary according to preference, ingredients, and method. Most importantly, it is the dough which is more tricky.
How to Shape the Dough
There are many ways to shape and seal the dough. In this recipe, I used a rectangular shape. Please feel free to change it as you want. To seal in the filling, I used a fork and a Pastry Crimper.
YOU MIGHT LIKE THESE OTHER RECIPES
For the Filling
- 2 Canned fish sardine or boiled and deboned fish.
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup Mixed veggies carrot, green beans and peas. or 1 of them
- 1 tsp Hot pepper powder optional
- 2 tsp Parsley
- 1 tbsp Flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Seasoning powder
- Pinch of Blackpepper
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
For the Dough
- 4 cups All-purpose flour
- 2 Eggs
- 1 cup + 3tbsp Water cold water
- 1 cup Cold butter
- ½ tsp Salt
To make the Dough
- Add flour, butter and salt in a large mixing bowl and rub everything with your hands until crumpy.
- Pour in water in batches, and 1 egg, mix with your hands until everything combines.
- Transfer the dough to the flour-dusted work surface and knead until the dough is ready. Refrain from mixing or working the dough. It will make it hard and non-flaky.
- Wrap it in a cling film and rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
To make the Filling
- In a pan, add the cooking oil and sauté the garlic for 1 minute.
- Add the mixed veggies and cook while stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fish, use a cooking spoon to mash it up, then stir well until combined.
- Add the seasonings with the 1 tbsp flour, then stir so that everything cooks for about 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat and set aside,
To Fill and Shape Pies
- Preheat Oven to 350℉.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator and flatten with a rolling pin.
- Cut out dough into rectangular or circular shapes. You can use a pie cutter.
- Add the filling to the dough, fold to meet the edges, and seal using the fork or pastry crimper. Repeat the process until all the dough is used.
- Ina bowl, crack the remaining egg and beat using a fork.
- Arrange the pies on the baking pan lined with a baking mat or sheet or greased baking pan, make holes on top of each pie using a fork and apply the egg wash (beaten egg) using a brush.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- When fish pies are ready, remove them from the oven and serve hot or allow to cool before serving.