Egg Roll is a popular appetizer, snack, or pastry which is common in some countries in Africa like Nigeria, Cameroon, and Ghana. These are the countries I know of. Let me know in the comment section which other countries enjoy this.
What is an Egg roll?
An Egg Roll is simply hard-boiled egg coated with dough and deep-fried or baked. I have never baked my eggrolls, I find the deep-fried version more enjoyable. Feel fry to air fry or bake for healthier options.
You will often see this at parties, gatherings, or special occasions. Trust me, I don’t wait for all those, any time I crave egg rolls, I go straight to the kitchen and use this recipe. This recipe has many positive feedbacks on Youtube and Instagram, so relax and be confident because you will be a pro at making these. Eggrolls are super crunchy on the outside and soft inside. Anything hard-boiled eggs, count me in especially when served with pepper sauce.
How Do I boil the eggs?
Either you use an egg boiler or if using a pot, consider these tips:
- Transfer eggs to a pot gently to avoid any cracks.
- Now add water with a pinch of salt to prevent eggs from cracking when boiling.
- Boil eggs for 15 minutes.
- Transfer into cold water for about 5 minutes then peel gently
- Pat dry with a paper towel before coating with dough. Very important.
Ingredients to Use;
- Baking powder: I prefer baking powder more than yeast because, with yeast, the dough is very light which I don’t like. Baking powder is the real deal for this recipe.
- All Purpose Flour: Self-rising flour can also work because it contains baking powder and salt.
- Melted Butter: I prefer melted butter because it creates a tender, firmer, more buttery crust. Most often I use melted butter for any deep-fried dough recipe. It works like magic.
- Hard-boiled Eggs: Must be hard-boiled and not runny.
- 2 Eggs At room Temperature: For a richer dough.
- Milk: For flavor and rich texture.
- Sugar as a Sweetener
- Salt for taste
Can It be Air fried or Baked?
Yes! If air frying, air fry 350°F for about 20 -30 minutes till golden brown.
Same time and temperature for the oven.
How do I make the rolls for perfect shapes?
2 ways: Choose which best works for you.
- Flatten out the dough into a circle, place the egg in the middle then fold to seal and smoothen on the working surface. You can watch the video here
2. Flatten the dough into an oval shape, place the egg on one end, bring the edges together then roll and gently press the edges like in the picture below. My favorite method. Please watch the video for better results.
If you love Eggroll, then Try these;
- 3 Cups All purpose flour
- 10 Hard boiled eggs pat dried
- 2 Eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Melted butter
- ½ cup Milk or water
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp Nutmeg
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- Oil for deep frying.
- In a bowl, combine the 2 eggs, milk, sugar and melted butter. Mix till well combined.
- In another seperate bowl, add flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg. Use a whisk and stir till combined.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients until a perfect dough is formed. The dough will be stretchy and slightly sticky but can be handled.
- Cover and let it rest for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a floured working surface and divide into 10 equal portions.
- Flatten out each portion, place the egg, and fold, ensuring no surface of the egg is exposed. Roll, then gently press the sides to seal. See the image above.
- Deep fry on medium heat till golden brown. This will take about 7-8 minutes.
- Remove from oil and let it cool or serve hot.