This Sour Cream Banana Bread is super moist and fluffy. Just the perfect dessert, snack and even breakfast with a hot cup of coffee, tea or hot chocolate.
Don’t you ever think of throwing away over ripe bananas, transform them into something delicious. I know you might have come across many banana bread recipes, but trust me this particular recipe will become your favorite. The reason I love this recipe is because, it can stay moist for days even if in the refrigerator.
Which Ingredients to use?
- Bananas: Overripe bananas with dark spots or with black skin is the best to use. Also to ripen bananas quickly, you can bake at 350 degree F for about 15 minutes then allow to cool before peeling and mashing.
- Flour: Only all purpose flour should be used.
- Butter: Softened butter and not melted butter can be used. This gives the banana bread a perfect flavor and texture. If using salted butter, reduce salt in this recipe to half teaspoon instead of 1.
- Sour Cream: This is the most important ingredient which can keeps it moist for days and can be substituted with whole fat yogurt. Greek yogurt works good too.
- Sugar: I do not have a sweet tooth. 1 cup is just okay for this recipe. But you can add more according to how sweet you want it.
- Eggs: Makes the bread soft.
- Baking Powder and Baking soda: Gives loaf perfect shape, keep it soft and both acts as a leaveners.
Can Butter be substituted with oil?
Yes. Coconut, canola and sunflower oil are perfect substitutes.
Can I add Nuts or mix-in’s?
Yes. Pecans, chocolate chips, walnuts are perfect with banana bread.
How can I mash the Bananas?
Use a fork or potato masher. I do not recommend blending.
How to preserve Banana Bread?
After cooled, wrap in a foil or ziplock bag and refrigerate for 3 days then freeze. To consume, let it thaw overnight on the shelf.
Banana Bread with Sour Cream
- 3 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 cup Sour cream or whole milk yogurt
- 1 cup Butter Softened
- 1 cup Granulated sugar can add more, upto 2 cups
- 4 Bananas mashed, overripe. about 2 cups
- 4 Large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Preheat Oven to 350°F and grease baking pan. Set aside. I used 8x4 inch baking pan.
- In a bowl, beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Now add eggs in batches, then the vanilla extract. Mix till combined.
- Add in mashed bananas and mix.
- Now bring in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix or stir till perfectly combined.
- Add in sour cream lastly and fold in using a spatula or wooden spoon till incorporated in the mixture.
- Transfer into a greased baking pan and bake at 350°F for 50-60 minutes till toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes and remove from baking pan. Then let it cool again for 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.