It’s an insanely delicious and flavorful soup made with ground “Njangsa” and meats. If you are looking for an authentic soup to enjoy, look no further than this soup with bold flavors.
What is Njangsa?
Njangsa (Ricinodendron) is a nutty oily seed that has a strong and unique flavor. You can never miss or confuse its flavor with any other spice. It’s very common in African cuisine. In Cameroon, it’s used a lot for marinating and cooking. It’s mostly ground before cooking. The name varies based on the country, it’s called Munguella in Angola, Bofeko in Zaire, Njangsa in Cameroon, Okhuen in Nigeria, and Wama in Ghana. Some people call it Njangsang or Djangsang in Cameroon as well.
What Ingredients to use?
- Njangsa: Most Important ingredient. Must be ground and be careful not to use too much of it, you will not like the taste.
- Chicken: Fish is often used, but I decided to use chicken instead. Use any meats of your choice. But cooking time might differ based on the type of meat.
- Ginger and Garlic for taste and flavor.
- Salt and Seasoning powder
- Black pepper and White pepper
What can I serve with Njangsa Sauce:
It’s very versatile and can be served with many like;
- Fufu etc.
- 1 kg Chicken sliced and washed
- ¼ Cup Ground Njangsa
- 2 tsp Seasoning powder or chicken bouillon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3-4 medium Fresh tomatoes
- 1 large Onion dice ½ of it
- ½ tsp White Pepper
- 1 tsp Blackpepper
- 1 thumpsize Ginger
- 4 Garlic cloves
- 2 Habanero peppers
- Green Onion or Parsley to garnish
- 1 cup Cooking oil
- 2 cups Water
- Add tomatoes, ½ onion, ginger, garlic, njangsa, and peppers, in a blender or processor and blend till smooth.
- In a large bowl, add the sliced and washed chicken, the blended mix, salt, seasoning powder, white pepper, and black pepper. Mix till well combined.
- In a hot pot, add oil and let it heat up for about 1 minute, sauté the ½ diced onion until translucent.
- Now add the chicken mix, and water, stir, and cover the pot. Cook till the chicken is tender.
- Check the pot every 5 minutes to add water if needed and to avoid burning.
- Garnish with the chopped parsley or green onion and let it simmer for another 1 minute.
- Taste to adjust any seasonings.
- Serve with a side of choice.