Extra Crispy Oven Fried Chicken with the perfect crust and juicy meat is my favorite. My family loves it so much, especially during movie nights. This KFC-style baked chicken is another level.
Although it’s not been fried, trust me you will still enjoy the crispiness and juiciness. Imagine enjoying the perfect fried chicken without being deep fried in oil, isn’t that amazing? I will show you how keep reading ahead. Watch the full Video here
The chicken wasn’t soaked in buttermilk as many other recipes instruct, I instead marinated it with spices and egg, then coated with flour and baked. NO REGRETS! There was one time I bought KFC deep-fried chicken, and my husband asked me if it can be baked. I told him definitely YES, he went further and said, please make some for me without deep frying and no buttermilk. I went ahead and wrote down this recipe, tried it, and guess what? It was super delicious and juicy. This has been my forever go-to KFC recipe. It has been tested and approved so fear not!
Why Baking instead of Frying?
- Healthy: Baking is healthier than deep frying. If you are on a diet or trying to cut down on oily food, this should be your new favorite recipe.
- Plan ahead: Chicken can be marinated overnight.
- Avoid burns or splashes from hot oil.
Ingredients to use. This recipe uses many ingredients, but I will sort out the key ingredients.
- Chicken: I used chicken drumsticks. If using other chicken parts like wings or breast, reduce cooking time.
- Cornflour: Gives extra crisp and crunch to the chicken.
- All Purpose flour: Very important to coat chicken. One of the Key ingredients to crispy chicken.
- Water: Helps to hold in the second layer of coating and contributes to the crispiness of the chicken.
- Turmeric: The secret ingredient to the golden yellow color. Do not miss it.
- Egg: Helps flour to stay coated in chicken and adds more crispness to chicken.
- Spices and herbs: For extra flavor and taste.
- Seasoning powder: Many other recipes call for salt only, No for me! Seasoning powder like bouillon, knorr, or Maggi gives the chicken a perfect taste. I never miss this out.
How to preserve crispy chicken.
- Best when served after 5 minutes of cooling (after baking) to enjoy the crunch and juice.
- Can refrigerate for up to 3 days. Put in the oven for 5 minutes 400 degrees F for the crisp to come back. If microwaved, the coating will be soft and soggy. You will not like that.
- Can freeze for about 2 weeks, then thaw in the fridge and bake with step 2 instructions.
Oven Fried Chicken (KFC copycat)
To Season Chicken
- 10 Chicken Drumsticks or any cuts
- ¼ cup Ketchup
- ½ tbsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Blackpepper
- 1 tbsp Seasoning Powder I used chicken knorr seasoning
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Hot Sauce Optional
- 3 tbsp Olive oil or any cooking oil
- 1 Egg
To Coat Chicken
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- ¼ tsp Blackpepper
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Chilli powder optional
- 1 tsp Mixed herbs I used italian seasoning
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Cups Water cold or room temperature
- Cooking oil or melted butter
- Preheat Oven to 400°F.
- In a bowl, add chicken slices and season with the spices. Allow marinating for about 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, and the rest of the coating ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Add water in a cup, should be atleast 2 to 3 inches deep so chicken can easily drench in.
- Take each chicken and coat with flour mixture, shaking off excess flour then drench in the water and coat again with flour mixture. Still shake off excess flour.
- Transfer into a baking pan, and create a barrier between the chicken and the surface of the pan using a rack or greased baking mat or parchment paper. Leave space between each chicken and don't crowd pan.
- When properly arranged on the pan, spray or rub oil (can use butter) on both sides of each chicken so it has that beautiful golden color.
- Bake 400°F for 30 minutes. I didn't flip sides. But if needed, can flip halfway through.
- After 30 minutes, remove from the oven, and let it cool for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
- When soaking chicken in water, I avoid dipping my hands into the water, so as to avoid my fingers getting clumpy during coating with flour. Can also keep one hand for deeping into water and the other to coat with flour.