Yakisoba is a famous Japanese one-pot noodle stir fry packed with veggies, noodles and sweet and sour sauce. This recipe is a bus stop for any Asian takeout. Use as many veggies and proteins as you like.
Asian noodles always taste savoury and must be on my dinner menu at least once a week. Imagine a 5-star meal made at home, just enough to bring that joy during dinner. Homemade is always the best because you can always use meats like chicken, pork, shrimp and beef. Also, to take control over what ingredients to use.
What is Yakisoba?
Yakisoba is stir-fried noodles with meats and vegetables like cabbage, carrots, and onions cooked in a thick, sweet, and salty sauce.
Check the recipe card at the end of this post for a detailed video.
- Noodles: Chinese-style noodles will work well for this recipe. I used Shanghai-style noodles, which is almost similar to ramen noodles.
- Garlic: For deep flavours and taste.
- Proteins: I used chicken breast, which can be switched with pork, beef, tofu or shrimp.
- Vegetables: I used onion, cabbage, carrots. These are perfect crispy veggies for stir fry. You can use bok choy, mushroom and bell pepper.
- Oil: I used sesame oil for the sauce and cooking oil for the stir fry.
- Yakisoba sauce: Light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, cornstarch, sesame oil, broth or water and a pinch of black pepper.
I garnished it with some green onion.
- Cook noodles according to the instructions on the package. Be careful not to overcook it.
- Prepare the vegetables ahead of time to ease the cooking process.
- Slice chicken into thin strips for quicker cooking.
- Marinate the chicken and keep it in the fridge till it ready to cook.
Simple Yakisoba Noodles
- 454 g Noodles I used Shanghai noodles
- 1 medium Whole Onion
- 1 cup Carrots julienne cut
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 Green Onion sliced
- ¼ Cabbage cut into wedges
For the Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dark Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Light soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 1 cup Broth or water
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- Pinch of Black pepper
For the Chicken
- 0.5 lb Chicken breast cut into strips
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- Pinch of Salt and Black pepper
- Add the chicken strips with all the ingredients for the chicken and mix well in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a pot of boiling water, add the noodles and cook according to the instructions on the package. Mine cooked for 5 minutes. Drain the water and pour in cold water to stop the cooking process and prevent it from clumping up to each other. Set aside.
- Add about 2 tbsp of cooking oil in a pan, cook chicken for about 3 minutes each side till well done. Remove and set aside. Do not wipe the pan.
- Add about 1 tbsp of oil, onion, garlic, cabbage, and carrots. Stir fry for about a minute. Do not overcook because they will continue cooking in the noodles.
- Add the noodles, green onion, chicken and the sauce to the same pan. Stir to combine for about 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately.