Black Pepper Chicken is a quick and easy stir fry made with chicken, onion, peppers, and black pepper. Serve with a big bowl of hot rice and dinner will be heavenly.
A healthy dish loaded with enough proteins and colorful veggies. This dish involves a combination of bell peppers and black peppers, so it doesn’t mean it’s spicy, but has irresistible and bold flavors. Feel free to add some chili for extra heat. My family can never have enough of this dish, trust me you too will never have enough once you try this recipe. So save this.
What Ingredients to use?
- Chicken: Should be thinly cut so it cooks quickly and evenly. You can also use boneless chicken thighs.
- Peppers: Any color of Bell peppers will be fine. Just slice evenly before starting to cook.
- Black pepper: For warm flavor.
- Stock or Broth: Can substitute with water.
- Ginger and Garlic
- Oyster Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Chinese cooking wine or Dry sherry
- Sesame oil or cooking oil
- Salt to taste
How to make Pepper Chicken and Important tips.
- Cut the chicken against the grain with the same size or thickness so it cooks evenly.
- Marinate the chicken and mix using your hands until well coated for a rich flavor.
- Cut or slice onions, and peppers before you start cooking.
- Mix the sauce in a bowl and combine with a spoon. Note: Stir the sauce again before adding it to the pan because the cornstarch must have settled under the cup or bowl.
- Mince garlic and ginger and set aside.
- Put the chicken in a hot pan, and spread it so it there is little or no overlapping. Do not touch the chicken till after 40 seconds, like it will shred or tear apart. After about 40 seconds start stirring so it cooks evenly. When fully cooked, remove and set aside.
- Sauté garlic and onion till it’s fragrant.
- Add ingredients into the pan and stir quickly on medium heat so it doesn’t overcook. You want to end up with crunchy veggies.
- Add the cooked chicken and sauce, and keep stirring until it thickens.
Serve with a hot bowl of rice immediately. I am not a fan of reheated stir fry or frozen. But you can preserve it in the refrigerator if need be for up to 3 days and freeze it for up to a month. Reheat and enjoy!
Black Pepper Chicken
- 2 Chicken breast cut into flat chunks
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ cup Broth or water
- 2 tbsp Dark soy sauce or light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Corn starch
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Freshly cracked black pepper
- ½ large Onion
- 1 Red bell pepper any color
- 1 Green bell pepper any color
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil any cooking oil
- 2 tbsp Cooking oil
- 1 tbsp Ginger minced
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, salt, and black pepper in a bowl. Mix by hand generously till well combined. Let it marinate for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the sauce and mix well using a spoon.
- Add 2 tbsp of cooking oil to a hot skillet on medium heat. Put the chicken, spread and fry until fully cooked and tender for 3 minutes. Make sure you flip the sides halfway through till the chicken edges become golden brown.
- Using a spoon, remove the chicken and set aside leaving behind the oil in the skillet or wok.
- Add the sesame oil, and sauté the garlic and ginger for about 30 second till they are fragrant.
- Now add the onions and peppers, stir fry for 30 seconds
- While the peppers are cooking, stir the sauce again with a spoon and add to the pot. Stir to combine until it thickens. Now add chicken and stir for a few seconds. Turn off the heat and remove the skillet.
- Transfer into plate and serve immediately.