This One Pot Mujadara (Rice and Lentils with Caramelized Onions) is a delicious Middle East gluten-free, vegan dish packed with deep flavours.
In the middle east, this dish is called poor man’s food and has many names like mujaddara, mojadara and mejadara. Poor man’s meal, but very tasty and packed with nutrients.
Why Choose This Recipe?
- Very versatile
- Quick recipe
- Gluten free
INGREDIENTS TO USE
Please check the post’s end for the recipe card.
- Bay leaves
- Olive oil
- Black pepper (optional)
How To Make Rice And Lentils
- Wash the rice perfectly to remove some starch, then drain.
- Also wash the lentils.
- In a pot of boiling water, add the lentils and cook for 12 minutes.
- In a pot of hot oil, fry the sliced onion stirring constantly until brown and crisp around the edges, then remove and put in an absorbent paper.
- Now add a portion of the crispy onion and the rest of the ingredients inside the pot of lentils with the washed rice. Add more water if needed and boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Then cover with an aluminum foil and the lid and boil on very low heat for 10-13 minutes till fully cooked. This is the secret to fluffy rice.
- Now serve as it is or with any sauce or grills.
IMPORTANT RECIPE TIPS
- Use either brown or green lentils. The orange lentils aren’t perfect. Please follow the cooking instructions on the package.
- Since the lentils will continue cooking with the rice, do not cook till it’s well done from the beginning. It has to be half done before you bring in the rice. That is why it cooks only for 12 minutes. NOTE: If lentils fully cook before you bring in the rice, you will end up with a mushy mujadara.
- Be patient when frying the onion, you have to stir continuously until the edges are crispy. If you step away, onions might burn. This can be done while the lentils are cooking in a separate pot.
What To Serve With Mujadara
Since it’s rich in proteins and carbs, it can be served as it is, as an entree or a side dish to grilled meats. It can be served with sauces and soups. I served mine with some Tilapia tomato soup. Super yummy.
Traditionally, it is served with some Greek yogurt and vegetable salad.
Let it cool, then put it in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days. Then freeze for up to a month.
Reheat in the microwave or a stovetop with little water.
Mujadara (Lentils and Rice)
- 2 cups Lentils washed and drained
- 3 cups Rice washed and drained
- 2 large Onions sliced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 2 Bay leaves
- Pinch of Black pepper optional
- 1 Oil to deep fry onions
- Add the washed lentils to a pot of boiling water and cook for 12 minutes. It is supposed to be partially cooked.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion in a pot of hot oil while stirring continuously until it's brown and crispy around the edges. Remove it from the oil and place it on absorbent paper.
- Add the washed rice, olive oil, a small portion of the caramelized onion (save some to serve the rice with), salt, cumin, black pepper, bay leaves to the pot of lentils.
- Add some water and let the rice boil for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Now open the pot, wrap an aluminum foil in the pot opening and use the lid to close the pot. Reduce the heat to low and let it cook for another 10-13 minutes until fluffy and well done.
- Remove and serve on a plate, then garnish with the caramelized onion.