This post may contain affiliate links
This Oven Grilled Whole Red snapper is filled with a savory aroma, super quick, easy and a perfect blend of dry spices and herbs.
When I think of a grilled fish treat I need to give myself, family or friends, the first fish which comes to mind is Red Snapper. Very thick and fleshy, and when grilled, extra flaky to the core. Using this recipe, which has thousands of positive feedbacks on Youtube, it will become your everyday go to fish recipe. So print this out and stick to your kitchen door.
What is Red Snapper?
Red Snapper is the most popular of all the white fish which has a firm and tasty flavor. When it comes to cooking, it is versatile. Can be baked, grilled, broiled, charbroiled, steamed, deep fried, boiled, roasted and even air fried. The fillets are perfect for pan searing or pan grilling. If you go to Youtube, Cooking with Claudy is the highest with red snapper recipes. Check them out here.
How to Grill a Whole Red Snapper.
Red snapper is an excellent fish when it comes to grilling. Some people are so scared when it comes to cooking a whole fish. It is very easy, provided you follow the instructions perfectly on the recipe card.
- Make sure you tell your fish monger to gut and scale the fish for you, or do it and wash perfectly.
- Always advisable to grill the fish with skin on because it’s crispy making it super savory. It also holds the fish together and traps in all the flavors from the ingredients.
- Make cuts or slits on the fish. To ensure marinate penetrates deep inside the skin.
- Put fish in the middle rack of the oven or any grilling device. Shouldn’t be direct to the heat.
- Baste the fish from time to time with oil to prevent it from drying out, because red snapper dosen’t really have fat to trap in enough juice.
- Check fish every 5 minutes to avoid burning.
- Also, you can charcoal grill and be very gentle when flipping like you will lose most parts of the fish to the fire. Use a grilling basket. You can get a grill basket From Here or your local stores.
How to know the Fish is well cooked.
- Using a fork, lift up a tiny portion of the thickest part of the fish. It has to easily pull out or looks flaky.
- When the juices runs clear and not bloody.
- Using a kitchen thermometer, internal temperature has to be 140 -145 degree F.
Which Ingredients to use.
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking oil
- Dried herbs
- Cayenne pepper for a little heat.
- Fresh Lemon
If you love red snapper, You will love this recipes
- One Pan roasted salmon and potatoes with veggies
- Baked whole fish and veggies
- Baked basa Fish Fillet
- Baked Mackerel
- Roasted whole fish. Sea bream
When it comes to grilling fish, these are the best:
- Sea bream (Dorade)
- Sea Bass
- Red Snapper
And many more which haven’t been listed.
If you tried this recipe and loved it, please leave me a 5 star in the recipe card. Thanks.
Grilled Whole Red Snapper
- Grill Pan
- 1 Red Snapper Scaled and Gutted
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 2 tsp Seasoning Salt or 1 tsp regular salt
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds ground
- 1 tsp 4 Peppercorn Blend Or Blackpepper
- 1 tsp Basil Leaves
- ½ Cup Cooking Oil
- 1 Maggi Cube or 1 tsp Seasoning powder
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 Tsp Cayenne Pepper adjust according to spicy level
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 Lemon slices
- Preheat Oven, Broil or Grill option to 400°F.
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients with oil and mix with a spoon till combined.
- Pat dry the fish with a paper towel to get rid of water or excess moisture.
- Make deep slant cuts on the fish. Should be deep till it touches the center bone. Pat dry again.
- Now rub the mixed spices on the fish making sure it goes deep into the slits.
- Put the fresh lemon slices inside the belly of the fish.
- Let it marinate for about 30 minutes to 1 hour. The longer it marinates the better.
- Transfer onto a grill pan and apply some marinade on the fish using a brush.
- Place it in the middle rack of the oven and BROIL or GRILL at 400°F for 20 minutes. Flip sides half way through.
- After 10 minutes, take out fish, apply marinade and flip. Apply marinade again on the uncooked side and let it go back to the oven for 10 minutes.
- Take out from the oven. Using a serving spoon, transfer into a plate.
- Serve with your favorite side and dip. ENJOY!
- Can be baked at same temperature and time.
- If you don't have a grill pan, line baking pan with parchment paper or greased baking sheet.
- Can also grill fish right away of you don't have enough time. Can also marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Depending on how large your fish is, check from time to time , add or reduce grilling time.
- Important to baste fish from time to time with oil or remaining marinade to maintain juiciness of the fish.