This easy yet savoury One-Pot Fried Cabbage with Sausage and Crispy Bacon is the perfect Southern comfort food that is full of flavour. Made with just simple ingredients and a low-budget meal indeed.
What is Southern Fried Cabbage?
This is simply pan-seared bacon and sausage cooked with peppers, onions and cabbage until tender on medium heat and ready to eat in 30 -40 minutes. It is also the perfect way to enjoy leftover cabbage. Perfect for gatherings and can be served as a main dish or side dish.
Why Choose This Recipe?
- An easy one-pot meal which makes cleaning a breeze.
- Cabbage is packed with nutrients and antioxidants good for your health.
- Quick and easy to make just under 40 minutes.
- Budget-friendly with just a few easy-to-find ingredients.
- Cabbage: White or green cabbage. Cut into squares of about 2 inches, see image below.
- Sausage: Any type of sausage works. I used the jalapeno sausage.
- Bacon: Any type of bacon works just make sure you sauté until crispy.
- Bell peppers: Perfect combination with cabbage. For flavour.
- Onions and garlic: For flavour and taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
How To Slice The Cabbage
- Wash the cabbage very well.
- Divide into 2, and remove the core.
- Using a sharp knife, slice or cut into squares.
Cooking Tips and Variations.
- For extra seasoning, creole, old bay and cajun are so good with fried cabbage.
- Bacon and sausage is salty, your bacon grease will be salty as well. Make sure you adjust the salt you will be using.
- If the bacon grease is too much, reduce it.
- Ham and tomatoes are also perfect ingredients for this recipe.
- For extra heat, add some pepper flakes, chilli sauce or cayenne pepper.
- This can also be a plan-ahead recipe. You can slice the cabbage and all the ingredients and keep them in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Storing and Reheating
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge, freeze for up to 2 months and thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
- Reheat in the microwave or toss in a hot skillet till well heated.
What To Serve With Southern Fried Cabbage
Southern Fried Cabbage with Bacon and Sausage
- 1 medium Green cabbage cored and cut into 2 inch sizes
- 300 g Sausage cut about ½ inches
- 200 g Bacon sliced
- ½ Red bell pepper julienne cut
- ½ Green bell pepper julienne cut
- 2 tsp Garlic powder
- ½ Yellow bell pepper optional
- 1 medium Onion sliced
- 3-4 tbsp Bacon and sausage grease
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Black pepper
- ½ cup Broth
- In a large skillet on medium heat, cook the bacon until it turns brown and crispy. At this point, the bacon will emit grease. Remove and place on paper towels.
- Cook the sausage until cooked through for about 3-4 minutes. Remove and place on paper towels.
- Reduce the grease and leave about 3-4 tbsp.
- Sauté the peppers and onion until they soften but crispy.
- Bring in the cabbage, stir and toss. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and broth.
- Stir and cover till it shrinks and softens.
- Add the previously cooked sausage and bacon and give a final stir till everything combines.
- Serve immediately