This breaded Crispy Baked Fish is super crunchy, has less oil, and melts in your mouth. Forget that frozen breaded fish, this recipe will blow your mind.
This recipe is a quick one, which is basically seasoned and breaded fish that is oven baked. Also, it’s perfect for both kids and adults.
My family once ate deep fried breaded fish, and they didn’t like that too much oil. So, I had to think of a substitute, and trust me, this recipe is in my repertoire.
Why choose this recipe?
- Extra crispy and crunchy on the outside, but super juicy and flaky on the inside.
- Quick and easy.
- Very healthy with less fat and oil compared to deep-fried fish.
Recipe Variations and Tips.
- Choose any white fish fillet. Cook time will depend on how thick the fish is.
- If you don’t have bread crumbs, crush some cornflakes.
- Use any seasoning of your choice. In this recipe, I used fish seasoning. This can be substituted with old bay seasoning, cajun, all-purpose seasonings, and more.
- Toast the bread crumbs in a pan so it has a golden brown color, this is because the bread crumbs remains pale even after baking.
- The mayonnaise helps the breadcrumbs to stick to the fish and makes the fish juicy because of the oil it contains.
Can this Recipe be a plan ahead?
The panko bread crumbs can be made ahead of time and stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
Can it be deep-fried?
Yes! Make sure both sides of the fish is well coated.
This is best served immediately, any leftovers might become soggy.
Check out these other fish recipes.
For Breadcrumbs Mix
- ½ cup Bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp Onion finely chopped
- 3-4 sprigs Thyme leaves only
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil or butter
For the Fish
- 1 Whole Fish Fillet I used Basa fish
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Fish Seasoning cajun, old bay, or creole seasoning
- 2-3 tbsp Mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp Lemon Juice
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400℉.
- Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper and place a rack on it.
- In a pan, add cooking oil let it heat up, and sauté onion and thyme till the onion is translucent.
- Now add the bread crumbs with a pinch of black pepper and salt. Stir bread crumbs for 5 minutes until it's golden brown.
- Now remove from the heat and set aside so it cools enough to handle.
- In a small bowl, mix the mayonnaise and lemon juice so it's well combined. Set aside.
- Pat dry both sides of the fish with a paper towel and season both sides with salt, pepper, fish seasoning, and paprika.
- Apply the mayonnaise mix using a brush or your hand on one side of the fish.(Side up)
- Now coat the "side up" of the fish with the bread crumbs. Do not touch the side down. Note: If deep frying, coat both sides.
- Transfer to the rack and place in the oven.
- Bake at 400℉ for 10-20 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish.