Homemade Yogurt is one of the simplest recipes I have ever made. If you have tried yogurt recipes countless times till no avail, do not worry. This is a fail proof recipe and dosen’t require a yogurt maker. Here is a Video if you are interested. In Cameroon, I loved frozen yogurt in plastic wraps and I always got it from the roadside vendors, till one day when my mom finally made it. So, this is mom’s recipe.
When it comes to making yogurt, there are many recipes out there because, each person choses which one works best for them. This recipe works and it has never failed me, so make sure you print this out and stick to your kitchen door.
There are many ways of making Yogurt:
- Using a yogurt maker
- Using stove top fire or any device.
- Using liquid milk.
- Using powdered milk
- Using coconut milk and many more.
Important tips to make Yogurt.
- Mix powdered milk with water and mix till combined, you want to make sure there are no lumps inside.
- Make sure milk is heated so that it creates and environment for bacteria to multiply. It also helps to thicken the yogurt. Should be heated to about 180 degrees F. Heating the milk also kills unwanted bacteria in the milk which aren’t needed in the yogurt making process.
- Stir milk until it cools or warm to touch before adding yogurt (with active cultures) which is the starter.
- Stir the yogurt (starter) inside the milk so that the bacteria spreads.
- Let the mixture incubate for about 8 -12 hours. The longer it incubates, the more it becomes thick because more bacteria are multiplied.
- Now preserve in the refrigerator or wrap in plastic bags and freeze.
- You can save some of the made yogurt as a starter for your next yogurt making batch.
What kind of Milk to use:
I mostly use full fat powdered milk. If you are in Africa, Nido or Peak milk works perfect. In this recipe, I used Peak Milk and it was amazing.
When to add a sweetener?
Add sugar same time you are adding the yogurt culture and make sure you stir till combined. At this point, you can also add the flavor you want like Vanilla extract.
How to Preserve Yogurt:
Can stay in the refrigerator for about 8-10 days. and can stay frozen in the freezer for up to 2 months. If you want to consume frozen yogurt, let it freeze for atleast 3 hours.
Homemade Yogurt with Powdered Milk.
- 1 cup Milk powdered
- 3 cups Water
- ½ cup Yogurt store bought with active cultures.
- In a pot, add the powder milk, with half of the water and mix till combined.
- When combined, add the rest of the water and stir well.
- Place mixture on medium heat and keep stirring. As soon as you see the first bubble from boiling, immediately take pot away from heat.
- Now stir until it is warm to touch.
- Add the yogurt culture and stir till combined. You can add sweetener at this point if needed and stir till combined.
- Transfer to an air tight container and cover with a cloth or blanket.
- Allow to incubate in a warm area for about 8-12 hours
- After 8-12 hours, mix to be uniform and SERVE.