These Instant Pot Lamb Shanks are super tender, and drenched in tasty red wine sauce filled with herbs and spices.
You are in for the best when the meat falls off the bone. The first time I ate lamb shank was in a Turkish Restaurant, and I fell in love with it ever since. Also, it’s straightforward to combine everything in the pressure pot and let it cook slowly.
Most recipes often call for draining all the veggies after cooking before putting the flour to make a thick dauce. I don’t usually do that, but why throw them when you can eat them? So, get ready because you are in for the best.
Cooking in an instant pot saves time compared to the oven and slow cooker. Invest in an instant pot for quick recipes, set the time and continue with other activities.
What is Lamb Shank?
- This part is a cut from the lower section of the lamb leg just below the knee, and it’s inexpensive compared to other meats.
- It has to be slowly cooked for extreme tenderness and fall off the bone.
- Lamb Shanks: You can get it from any grocery store, especially Mediterranean stores. Make sure you remove excess fats from the meats.
- Herbs: Fresh thyme, rosemary, and parsley are the perfect combination for this dish.
- Vegetables: Fresh onion, bell pepper, garlic, carrots and celery.
- Broth: Chicken, vegetable or beef broth works well for this recipe.
- Flour: Used as a thickener. A good substitute is cornstarch.
- Red wine: I used non-alcoholic red wine for this recipe. Any red wine will work, or dry white wine.
How to Make Instant Pot Lamb Shanks
Check the recipe card at the end of this post for a detailed recipe.
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and black pepper very well. Pat down the spices on the meat.
- Add oil in a pan or skillet sear each side of the shanks until brown.
- Transfer into an instant pot and add all the spices (listed in the recipe card below), cover and let it cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately with any side.
I served mine with Couscous and sauteed green beans.
- You can drain the veggies and herbs from the sauce using a mesh strainer. Then, add the cornstarch to the sauce and simmer on low heat till it thickens. Spread sauce all over the lamb shanks and serve.
Instant Pot Lamb Shanks
- Pressure pot Instant pot
- 2 Lamb shanks
- 1 large Onion chopped
- 2 Celery sticks chopped
- 4 Garlic cloves diced
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 2 tbsp Parsley
- 2 cups Baby carrot
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Bell pepper any color
- 3 cups Broth
- 3 tbsp Tomato paste
- ½ cup Red wine
- 4 sprigs Thyme
- 1½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Blackpepper
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Remove excess fat from the shanks and and pat dry.
- Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the oil in the skillet and sear each side of the lamb shanks for 7 minutes until brown.
- Transfer seared lamb shank into the instant pot or pressure pot.
- Add all the ingredients, stir well and cover with the lid. Set the vent to sealing and select Pressure Cook. Note: The Pressure pot will take about 10 minutes to start cooking.
- Let it cook for 45 mins to 1 hour. Allow the steam to release by itself. Do Not force out steam or pressure by lifting vent.
- Open the lid and serve immediately.