Roasted Whole Fish is insanely delicious, especially when cooked to perfection with the right choice of seasonings or spices.
Some people are very skeptical or scared when they hear of roasting a whole fish. It’s very easy when you follow important tips or steps. Most importantly, it’s the level of heat or oven temperature. A hot oven will make the fish skin crispy and evenly cook. Basting the fish with cooked marinade or oil every 4-5 minutes makes it very juicy, sure you will love that. Slits on the fish make it cook evenly too, and also prevent the fish from curling up during grilling. Watch the Full Video on How to grill fish.
How to Grill a Whole Fish:
- Gut and scale fish or tell the fishmonger to do it or buy already gutted and scaled fish.
- Rinse inside and out, and pat dry perfectly to get rid of any water, this is because the water in the fish will wash off marinade or seasonings when marinating.
- Score or make deep slits on the fish, for even cooking and penetration of spices.
- Prepare the spices.
- Rub spices and let them marinate.
- Always create a barrier between the fish and the surface of the pan. Most often, I will highly recommend a grilling pan that has a rack. You can use veggies and lemon slices to suspend fish, and parchment paper works also but I never use it to grill unless it’s baked fish.
- Grill on high heat.
The best fish to Grill are;
- Sea bream (Dorade)
- Sea Bass
- Red Snapper
Roasted Whole Fish Recipe
- 1 whole fish gutted & cleaned
- ½ ginger half thumpsize
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium bell pepper cut into 2” cubes
- 2 sprigs parsley chopped
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs green onion cut into 2” slices
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tsp. of Knorr seasoning or any seasoning powder
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- In the bowl of a food processor, add ginger, bell pepper, parsley, green onion and onion, process until consistent puree, and transfer to a medium bowl. Pour in 1 cup of olive oil and mix until everything combines well.
- Then add Knorr seasoning, paprika, black pepper, oregano and salt, and mix thoroughly using a spoon.
- Pat dry fish using a paper towel and make diagonal slits on both sides of the fish at 1” spacing.
- Apply the marinade to both sides of the fish and rub gently with your hands; ensure that the marinade is applied well inside the slits.
- Place the fish on the grill tray, cover with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 1 hour for the marinade.
- 10 minutes before you remove fish from refrigerator, Prepare the oven and preheat it to 400°F.
- After 1 hour, remove fish from refrigerator, apply more marinade on the fish, apply oil spray to have crispy skin.
- Meanwhile, pour the remaining marinade into a skillet over medium heat and stir for 5 minutes or until perfectly cooked.
- When the oven is preheated, add fish to the oven and broil or grill for 10-15 minutes, then flip side and grill or broil for another 10-15 minutes; ensure to apply cooked marinade after every 4 to 5 minutes.
- When fish is ready, remove from oven and serve hot with onion wedges and lemon slices or choice of side.