Amazingly delicious Rice and Chicken made from scratch all in one pot. This is just perfect for dinner and guess what? Just one pot to wash. Less stress indeed.
Everyone loves one-pot meals because it reduces the work load after cooking. The seasonings combined for the chicken are so special, and the chicken is seared to perfection with an inviting brown color. When cooked, all the chicken juice goes to the rice, bursting into flavors and taste, and making your tastebuds shout with joy. With the chicken broth, everything turns out to be super tasty.
What is One Pot Rice and Chicken?
It’s an easy and quick dish that includes tasty and juicy chicken seasoned with herbs and spices, onions, peppers and rice cooked in broth. Since everything is done in one pot, all flavors, and taste are trapped within.
What Ingredients to use:
- Rice: I used long-grain basmati. You can use any brand of rice but the cooking time might differ. I suggest you add water in small batches so you don’t end up with mushy rice.
- Chicken: Chicken thighs with skin and bone were used for this recipe. I love it with the skin on, if you want the healthier option, take out the skin.
- Chicken Broth: Low sodium Chicken broth was used. Any broth works.
- Mixed herbs: Italian Seasoning or any of your favorite mixed herbs.
- Smoked Paprika for a little smoky flavor. Can be substituted with regular paprika.
- Bell pepper, Garlic, and Onions: For extra flavor and taste.
- Canola oil: Substitute with any oil of your choice
- Green onions for Garnishing
What else can I add to the rice?
Seasoning powder or bouillon will also add the taste. Peas, corn or any veggies.
Can it be a plan-ahead recipe?
Yes, chicken can be seasoned and fresh ingredients chopped and placed in the fridge overnight or before cooking. Make sure chicken comes to room temperature atleast 30 minutes before cooking.
Can I bake it?
Yes and Yes. I usually bake mine sometimes. Place in a preheated oven for 1 hour on Bake, 350- 380F
Can I use any chicken parts?
I will suggest you stick to chicken thighs because, it stays moist and juicy throughout cooking. Parts like chicken breast will dry off.
How can I preserve it?
Best when served immediately but I noticed it taste more and better the next day. Preserve in the refrigerator for atleast 3 days and in the freezer for atleast a month. Can thaw in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave or on low heat till warm.
One Pot Rice and Chicken
To Season Chicken
- 6 Chicken thighs
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Onion powder
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 tsp Mixed herbs
- 1 tsp Blackpepper
For the rice
- 2 cups Rice long grain basmati
- 1 Red bell pepper medium size
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- ½ Large onion
- 3-4 cups Chicken broth
- 3 Garlic cloves minced or chopped
- Fresh Parsley
- ⅓ cup Cooking oil
- In a small bowl, combine the ingredients for the chicken and mix with spoon.
- Put chicken thighs in a bowl, add the mixed seasoning and mix till chicken is well coated. Save 1-2 tsp of the mixed seasoning.
- In a hot pot, add cooking oil. When the oil is hot, sear the chicken with skin side up first till brown. Then flip sides. This will take about 3 minutes for each side. Chicken isn't supposed to be fully cooked at this point.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Put the rice in the pot, keep stirring for about 2 minutes making sure it doesn's stick to the pot.
- Add the chopped bell pepper, onions, garlic, tomato paste, and the remaining seasoning.
- Stir till well combined. Now pour in the chicken broth and stir so to deglaze the pan. Place the chicken on top of the rice. Taste the mixture to adjust.
- Cover and let it cook for about 20-30 minutes until the water is absorbed, chicken cooked and rice tender.
- Garnish with parsley and serve immediately