Plantain Fufu – A healthy fufu or “swallow” often enjoyed in some African countries like Nigeria, Cameroon, and Ghana. It’s made from blended fresh unripe plantains or plantain flour, very quick and easy to make in just 20 minutes.
In this recipe, I will be showing you 2 easy ways to make Plantain Fufu and they will become your favorite.
Many people especially diabetic patients look for a healthier option for fufu because most often, fufu is very starchy and high in carbs. So, healthier options are oatmeal fufu, plantain fufu, cauliflower fufu, and many more.
Plantain fufu is just blended unripe plantains which have been cooked to perfection.
Why Plantain Fufu?
Plantains are high in fibre and rich in minerals and vitamins. Also vegan and gluten-free. Anyone can enjoy it.
- It’s easy and quick to prepare.
- Has a lot of health benefits.
- It can be served with many types of soups.
- Plantains are very affordable.
- Unripe plantains: This cannot be substituted with ripe plantains.
How to make Plantain Fufu
I will be showing you 2 Ways:
Microwave: I recommend this method when making small quantities of fufu.
- Peel plantains, cut them into small sizes, and blend with a little water till smooth.
- Transfer into a microwavable bowl, cover, and microwave for 5 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon, and stir till it’s uniform. Then wrap in a cling film or serve immediately.
In a pot:
- Peel and cut the plantain into chunks, and blend with water till smooth.
- Then transfer into a pot on medium heat, start stirring, and cook until it comes together like dough.
- Add water, cover, and cook till well done.
- Serve with your favourite soup or sauce. Please check the recipe card below.
NOTE: If using plantain flour, mix with cold water till no lumps. Now put on medium heat and cook till well done.
What can I Serve with Plantain Fufu?
Store and Reheat:
Wrap leftovers in a cling film, and put it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Fufu should be cooled completely before storing.
Reheat in a microwave dish and stir in between till it’s hot and soft. If very hard, add a little water. You can also put it inside a pot and reheat it with a little water, stirring until it is warm and soft.
- 4 Unripe Plantains
- 1¼ cup Water
- Peel plantains and wash them perfectly.
- Now slice them to small pieces or chunks.
- Transfer into a blender and blend till smooth.
- Now pour the mixture into a pot and set on medium heat. Start stirring with a whisk, when it starts to thicken, use a wooden spoon to continue stirring till it comes together for about 4 minutes.
- Add ¼ cup of water and cover the pot let it cook on low heat for about 5 minutes till some of the water dries.
- Now stir again with wooden spoon till it's uniform.
- Wrap in a cling film or serve immediately.