Butterflied Grilled Chicken with Crispy Potatoes – Split opened chicken drumsticks seasoned to perfection, pan-seared and oven grilled with some crispy potatoes. Who isn’t going to love this? Very quick and less stressful.
What Does Butterflying Mean?
This simply refers to flattening out chicken or any means with a knife or kitchen sear, so that they cook evenly and quickly. This is an easy method to enjoy crispy yet juicy chicken. It also creates a larger surface area for spices to penetrate. So, season or marinate as you want.
A similar way of how to make spatchcock whole chicken.
Why Choose this Recipe?
- Chicken drumsticks are inexpensive and always available, unlike breast, wings and thighs.
- This recipe is so easy to make and quick.
- Versatile recipe. You can use your favourite spices and also serve the chicken with many sides.
Can I use any other Chicken Parts?
Unfortunately, chicken drumsticks are just perfect for this recipe.
What’s in my Chicken and Potatoes?
- Chicken drumsticks
- Soy sauce
- Hot sauce
- Garlic paste
- Lemon juice
- Salt and Blackpepper
- Olive oil
Butterflied Grilled Chicken with Crispy Potatoes
To Marinate the Chicken
- 1.5 lb Chicken drumsticks bone-in
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Seasoned salt or regular salt
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Blackpepper
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Hot sauce
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 2 tsp Parsley fresh or dried
- 2 tsp Olive oil
For the Potatoes
- 1.5 lb Baby potatoes cut into halves and wash
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tsp Fresh Parsley
- Salt and Black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- Pat dry the chicken with a paper towel.
- Using a knife or sear, open up the chicken till it has a butterfly shape. Do not cut all the meat from the chicken. You want to end up with 2 flaps of meats and a center bone.
- Transfer the chicken into a bowl and marinate with all the ingredients for the chicken.
- In a pan on medium heat, heat some oil and sear each side of the chicken for 2 minutes till it has a charred look. Remove and set aside. The chicken isn't fully cooked at this point.
- Add the potatoes in a pot of boiling water and let them cook for 10 minutes. Then drain the water and transfer it into a bowl.
- Season with all the ingredients for the potatoes.
- Now transfer the chicken and potatoes to a baking sheet.
- Bake at 400℉ for 30-40 minutes till fully cooked.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.